Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Shivers

One thing never fails to give me an eerie feeling. I hate looking at photos or films of people when they were happy/healthy/alive and knowing that they are now sad/incapacitated/dead, especially when the images were captured shortly before things changed or when they are contrasted directly with the present. I can't even watch old movies and think about the actors and actresses. I have to think about only the characters, who are fictional and therefore unchanging.

Probably this says something deep and troubling about my psyche and/or fear of a similar change in my life, but I'd rather not think about that. Or old pictures.

5 comments:

  1. Why do you think we want pictures of you when you are happy, healthy and alive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave poor crazy Rachel alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE old pictures. Love them. Tragic history can be beautiful when there's a face behind the actions, and I look over the photos of my dead relatives all the time. Like, ALL the time. Seriously.

    Do I give you the shivers now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have too much time on your hands. Also that is how horror movies often start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camilla, I understand that I'm crazy about it. That's one thing pictures are good for--remembering the good times.

    Maybe it has something to do with my non-visual mind?

    ReplyDelete