Saturday, May 22, 2010

How the Grinch stole Friday

I work three hours a day cleaning carpets. It's not a terribly exciting job, but it could be a lot worse, and I have a great boss. Her favorite thing to do is take care of people. So when her children grew up and moved out, she started working at BYU so she could continue taking care of starving college students.

Every day she brings us dessert and we sit and talk and eat for half an hour before starting work. She talks about her grandchildren and her dogs and shows us pictures, and it's fantastic. And every Friday, she likes to cook us a huge meal and tell us to invite any friends or family who are nearby who would appreciate a home-cooked meal. She brings salad and reminds us that we need to have vegetables in our system. The Friday night meals are the best perk of the job.

However, one of my coworkers was apparently not as thrilled with this arrangement as I was. He started needling the boss about doing potlucks instead. "Isn't it too much work cooking for all of us?" "Oh, no. I like it." "Doesn't it get expensive?" "Oh, no. I don't mind." "We feel bad taking your food."

If there is one thing the boss doesn't want to do, it's make people feel bad. She announced that she would be doing potlucks. Was that OK with everyone?

At this point, I faced a dilemma. I really, really would rather have my Friday meals cooked for me. But there is absolutely no way to say that without sounding incredibly selfish. Either everyone else secretly wished for potlucks, or they felt the same way I did. (I suspect the latter.)

A sign-up sheet went up. Vocal supporter coworker and I signed up to bring things. Nobody else did(this is why I suspect they weren't ecstatic about the potluck plan). The boss made dinner, minus cheese, lettuce, and onions. So hopefully the potluck idea will atrophy. If not, I'll know that I've picked up Jonathan's bad luck with potlucks.

4 comments:

  1. Actually Merrilynn also brought cheese and lettuce and her lettuce and cheese was better than ours. So the plan will be "Oh looks like only Brian remembered to sign up to bring something." Know wonder he has so much trouble with women, he thinks he knows what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Grinch's stomach will one day grow three sizes, and then it will be back to just your nice boss cooking. Or he'll leave because his mission at BYU won't be fulfilled, namely to get married, and so he'll slink back to his home ward where there are three single LDS women within 10 years of his age in the surrounding 150 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad but true.I guess I don't need to finish school now that my mission has been fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup. that's why you didn't graduate this past semester, right Jonathan?

    ReplyDelete