Saturday, May 8, 2010

Never Assume

A lot of people are fond of saying you should never assume because it makes a such-and-such of you and me. I think that's kind of ridiculous. The only alternatives to assuming things are to 1) get complete information or 2) never do anything.

Let's say you are planning a party and you want all the guests to like each other. You can 1) get complete information. Find out how everyone feels about each other guest individually and in a group. How? Ask them? You are making the assumption that they're honest about their feelings. 2) Don't have a party. Crisis averted. 3)Make some reasonable assumptions. I guess we could throw in 4) change your goal to something more reasonable.

Why my ramblings on assumptions? I was working cleaning carpets in BYU's police station. The police all assumed I belonged there (good assumption, as it turned out). I assumed all the people I saw there were actually police department employees. Probably it was a good assumption. But wouldn't it be funny if one of them was actually a thief, and all my smug, "ha, this proves that we need assumptions!" thoughts were way off base?

2 comments:

  1. That's exactly what happened, too, because the police station was robbed last night.

    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're assuming we should be assuming. Quit making a such and such out of us!

    ReplyDelete