Saturday, May 15, 2010

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

I just read a book called Jonathan Livingston Seagull. It was really good It was short--just 127 pages, and it only took about an hour to read. But I think it will stay with me for a long time.

The cover said something about sharing the "experience" millions of readers have had. Before I read it I thought that was kind of dumb. Books are read, not experienced. Then I read the book. It felt like a journey--an experience, if you will.

So I was wondering what give a book staying power. There are a few books I think about frequently. I've read books with more gripping plots and more believable characters. I've read books that I agreed with more. I've read books that I liked more. But I keep thinking about these same few books. Why?

I honestly don't know. If you have a great answer, text me or facebook me or comment or something.

Books I Think About All the Time

Cry, the Beloved Country
Izzy, Willy Nilly
Dicey books by Cynthia Voigt
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
The Richest Man in Babylon
Go Ask Alice
A book I read at the library about a girl who cuts herself
The Diddakoi
A book about a poltergeist my fourth or fifth grade teacher read to the class
The Boggart
Indian Captive
The Hiding Place
The scriptures
Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

1 comment:

  1. So why the question mark on the seagull? How about reading Jonathan Reddoch Seagull?

    ReplyDelete