Sunday, May 16, 2010

Compromise, or One of us can be unhappy, or we can both be unhappy

Mealtimes with Jonathan are always interesting. If there is a food item that can be prepared in two different ways, we always want it in different ways. Tonight we had steak, cauliflower, and brownies. I like my steak well done, my cauliflower crisp-tender, and my brownies thick and gooey. Jonathan likes steak rare, cauliflower soft, and brownies thin and crispy. I like chicken wings and chicken nuggets crispy; Jonathan likes them softer. I like pasta al dente; Jonathan likes it softer (aka mushy). I like Mexican food spicy, while he prefers it mild. I could go on, but I imagine you get the point.

This means that there is not a lot we can do when we're preparing dinner. We could cook everything for two different amounts of time, but then we can't eat together. We could cook everything to the middle state, and then neither of us would be happy. Or we could cook to my preferences half the time and Jonathan's half the time, and each be happy half the time. Yay compromise.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh. Compromise. Marriage should be a battle of wills, not compromise. That'll solve everyone's problems, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is al dente Italian for crunchy or uncooked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also what is with the weird capitalization on your title? Is it supposed to mean something deep?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al dente is Italian for perfect. And the capitalization means that's the way I did it.

    ReplyDelete