Sunday, May 16, 2010

Black Thumb

When Josh and I were little, our mom would sometimes take us to Blockbuster and allow us each to choose a movie to rent. Most of the time we came home with the same two movies: All Dogs Go to Heaven and A Troll in Central Park. They were the best movies ever. Part of me wants to watch them again, but another part says that would ruin them.

Troll in Central Park was about a troll who was unlike every other troll. The others all had black thumbs that made plants wither and die at their touch. The title character had a green thumb instead.

To my dismay, I have discovered that I am much more like the regular trolls. I recently obtained a banana pepper plant. Fun! I thought. I can grow peppers and we can eat them on our sandwiches and in our quesadillas! How awesome will that be? As it turns out, not so awesome.

I think I killed it already. It is all droopy and sad looking. I talked to my mom (who has a green thumb) about it. She seemed confident I could revive it. We'll see. I think I should start practicing my Bad Troll song (about 2:40-2:50).

5 comments:

  1. Two comments: First, I think we only rented A Troll in Central Park once, and then it just lived on in legend. (Although we did get All Dogs Go To Heaven multiple times). Second: Watching that 10 min clip did nothing to kill the magic. I wanna see that movie now :( And All Dogs Go To Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troll in Central Park movie night! We're adding it to the top of our Netflix queue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love iconic childhood films! Except I'm a little apprehensive about this "Troll" in "Central Park", because I'm not much of an environmentalist, and this movie sounds threateningly brainwash-y. I hated Fern Gully and Happy Feet.

    But good luck with the colorful fingers. Hope you get a pepper out of the ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Childhood movies can actually become even more awesome when you get older... One of mine favorites was The Dark Crystal, and when I saw it at Best Buy for seven bucks I HAD to get it. I don't regret that decision, it is perhaps even more entertaining now that I get some of the jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just so you know, Mom killed a plant today. Well, not today, we found out today. And it's not dead yet, but it's dying and will probably will die soon. It's one of her African Violets; she watered it too much and drowned it

    ReplyDelete