Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Spine

As you get to know me, you may realize that I am rather spineless. I have a ridiculously difficult time saying no to even the most ridiculous requests. This was re-brought to my attention yesterday.
First, there was a knock at the door. My roommate answered. A few minutes later, she came into the kitchen and told my other roommate and me to go talk to the people at the door. They were selling newspaper subscriptions to put themselves through college. If we would pay just $0.25 per day, they would be able to go to college, and they would give money to inner-city children.
The last time I encountered these people, I fell for their sob story. I wrote them a check, and proceeded to never see either my money or a newspaper. So this time, I was able to resist (that, and my other roommate was there backing up my refusal). I said no, then felt guilty about it for the rest of the evening.
While I was still feeling guilty, I was hit up with another request that I wanted to refuse. There is a midterm in one of my classes this weekend, and two other people in my ward are in the same section. They wanted to set up a study group and study for about four hours. I had planned on studying for this test for about twenty minutes. Due to my inability to say no, I will now be studying for four hours. Eventually I will get a spine. Until then, I'll be in the library studying Thucydides.

4 comments:

  1. I'm the same way :( Know how I quit my job? Well, then the owners asked me to be the magazine intern and I couldn't say no. Then they asked me to babysit for them once a weeks so they can have a date night. Wish I would have said no to both. But whatever, I guess I'm at least making money right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what I say - spineless yourself into something, weasel out later :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll say you're spineless. You never say no to a date. Sucker!

    ReplyDelete