Thursday, May 7, 2009

Anti-social

I have come to the conclusion that I am naturally anti-social. I am working on overcoming my anti-social tendencies, but they are still there. And today I was reminded of why.
I was in my civilizations class, which is two and a half hours long, located in a windowless room that is completely white and gray. I do not get along very well with this class. Anyway, the teacher told us to discuss the relationship between freedom and happiness with our neighbors. I said that if you are free to act on the choices you make, you can be happy, assuming you make good choices. The guy I was talking to asked me for an example. I said that if I had been born in Iran or Saudi Arabia or somewhere like that, I wouldn't be free to choose my religion, what to study in school, or even to go to the store by myself.
Me: So it's probably easier for me to be happy here, where I do have those choices.
Him: Or harder for you to be happy.
Me: No, I think it's easier for me to be happy in America than it would be in Iran.
Him: It could be easier for women in those countries to be happy.
And this is why I don't talk to people.

3 comments:

  1. Answer should have been along the lines of how nice it would at least be to not need to listen to idiots like him. Ane then you should have slugged him in the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Josh Rachel. I opt for slugging people as often as possible. That's why my nickname is Emma 'iron fists' Freeman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also women aren't allowed to blog in those countries because happy people don't speak their minds. Now cover your face and be happy!

    ReplyDelete