Sunday, August 1, 2010

Not a funny post

I realize that probably fewer of my posts than I think are funny. This one, however, is not even intended to be funny. Some of you are now shocked that this is an unusual occurrence, but whatevs. Life goes on.

Disclaimer to this post: I love my husband, and I believe service within a marriage is a good thing. That said...

Today at church one of the women was talking about how much she loves her family. OK, I can buy that. She went on to say she really loves her husband. We're still on the same page up to this point. Then she went on to say that serving her family is the main thing that gives her fulfillment in life, and that her very favorite things to do are things that her husband could do for himself, such as bringing him glasses of water and taking his shoes off when he gets home from work. We are no longer on the same page.

I respect that people make different decisions in life and that every person is different. I just have a hard time with deriving all of one's pleasure and purpose in life from other people. What would she do if her husband died? How would she go on? I imagine it would be heartrending under any circumstances, but if she has no interests or meaning outside of her marriage, wouldn't a tragic occurrence be even more difficult to deal with?

I hope I'm misinterpreting what she said. I'm hoping that even though when asked to tell a bit about herself, she chose to say that she likes taking off her husband's shoes, she also is an avid reader, or is working on a novel, or is a gourmet chef, or goes for three mile runs every morning, or something.

Maybe I should walk a mile in her shoes before I judge her. I could introduce myself with a list of things I do for Jonathan. But that feels unfair, because he does things for me too. So maybe when asked to tell about myself, I'll say, "I get my husband glasses of water, but he drives me to work every morning. So it's cool, and not a weird subservient thing at all." So maybe I'll just keep walking in my own shoes and hoping that her shoes are not that different from mine, except for what she chooses to share about herself. And you know, I usually choose to share nothing about myself, so who am I to judge?

2 comments:

  1. Why are you writing blogs when you should be taking off my smelly socks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rachel... it's in your genes to be subservient, as it is in men's genes to be better. It's a Y chromosome thing.

    ReplyDelete