Saturday, July 31, 2010

Transparent

Last night Jonathan and I went to one of those Japanese steakhouses where they cook your food in front of you. Apparently it's called a hibachi or teppanyaki grill, not a table-stove, which is what I called it. Anyway, I thought it was lots of fun. What better way to spend an evening than with food, fire, and an old Japanese guy chopping stuff up?

Jonathan had less fun. The guy sitting next to him had apparently been to Japan and wouldn't stop regaling his companion with trivia about the differences between actual Japanese cooking and our experience. This does not make for a very enjoyable eating experience. We didn't go to the restaurant for authenticity; we went for a good time.

Anyway, the highlight of the show comes at the end, when the cook flips a shrimp into everybody's mouth. I was slated to be the fourth person to attempt to catch one. Jonathan had already not quite caught his, so I knew that at least I wouldn't be alone in failing to catch it. But my lack of mouth-eye coordination was readily apparent, and he flipped it onto my plate instead.

Question for you all: Is it really that obvious that I'm not the kind of person who can catch a flying shrimp in my mouth?

4 comments:

  1. Yes. "your body is just so awkward!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I've never seen you in a position to maybe catch a flying shrimp in your mouth. Maybe you looked panicked or something...

    ReplyDelete