Sunday, July 4, 2010

Competition

I was at work on Friday (shocking, I know) when the conversation turned to 4th of July festivities. Someone asked me if I was from Utah. I replied that I am. He asked if the fireworks in Provo are any good. I responded that I don't know, as I've never spent the 4th in Provo. He asked if Salt Lake has any good displays.

"My family never went to the displays because we didn't want to pay to get in. So we always just watched the fireworks from our porch. So I couldn't say much about any particular display, but altogether we always had fun."

At this point one of my coworkers interjected. "You have to pay to see fireworks in Utah?" I replied that you don't have to pay, as you can see them from other locations. But to get into the parks or venues or whatever they are, you usually do have to pay.

"But that's communist!"

At this point I pointed out that however patriotic or not it may be, selling things, including admission to fireworks displays, is a lot more capitalistic than communist. A third coworker declared me the winner of the conversation.

2 comments:

  1. TOTALLY the winner. Communist would mean free admission for all. Stupid commies. But why don't you guys light your own fireworks? Or do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I declare you the winner of life. after all, you have a great job and you're only an intern, you're happily married at 21, you're a genius, and I have to say, your family is pretty darn amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete