Thursday, July 8, 2010

Yummy

Today I went to the Utah food bank for a work sponsored community service day. We spent the morning putting 1100 pounds of frozen cauliflower into 2 pound bags. It was pretty cool. I never want to eat cauliflower again, but I didn't like it that much to begin with.

In the afternoon we spent our time sorting Number 10 cans (12 cups, approximately 3-10 pounds, depending on the contents). That was pretty cool too. People apparently respond to food drives by finally getting rid of that food storage they inherited from their grandparents.

We found a huge can of cornstarch that expired in 1976. My parents hadn't graduated from high school in 1976. Preliminary research (aka googling) indicates that cornstarch lasts about two years. That means this cornstarch could conceivably have been originally purchased in 1974. Apparently Gerald Ford became president in 1974. He was president so long ago that I don't even know what happened during his time in office.

Find number two was a can of "beef flavored textured vegetable protein." It was from the time before expiration dates. Apparently they still make it. How could anyone not be a vegetarian when we have options like that available?

We also found a huge can of "all purpose food". The back label said it could be eaten as a vegetable with ketchup, as a cereal with milk, as a meat with gravy, or as a dessert topper. Thanks, but no thanks.

4 comments:

  1. yummmm! I want me some all purpose food! I need some more vegetables in my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. All purpose food is the wave of the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All purpose food is the wave of the past. Delicious, sneakily healthy donuts and cake are the wave of the future (I wish).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gerald Ford pardoned Nixon...that's about it. Plus I'm pretty sure he died a few years ago, so that should tell you how incredibly long ago that "food" should have died.

    I would LOVE to try some all-purpose food.

    ReplyDelete