Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dante's Inferno

I am reading Dante's Divine Comedy for one of my classes. Dante was a pretty bold guy. He wrote about the Inferno and populated it with real people who were his contemporaries, including at least three popes. There was even the soul of one person who was still alive when Dante published the Divine Comedy. According to Dante, this person's body stayed on earth, possessed by a demon, while his soul went straight to the Inferno. Also, Dante says Virgil and Homer welcomed him (Dante) into their ranks and called him one of the six greatest poets of all time.
Dante spent the latter part of his life in exile. I wonder what such a charming, modest person did to deserve such a fate?

3 comments:

  1. Dante's Inferno is pretty much one of the coolest books ever. Just thought I'd throw that our there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read Dante's Inferno. But I'm definitely going to. I'm jealous that you're getting to read it right now though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jokes on him. Sure Virgil and Homer welcomed him home; those heathens are burning something fiece in a pretty gruesome dungeon where people who worship idols broil for eternity. Guess that's why they call it a comedy.

    ReplyDelete