Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Portion

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer sauces to be an accompaniment to whatever they go on. For example, you eat spaghetti for dinner and put spaghetti sauce on it. This means that the bulk of the meal is the spaghetti noodles. However, most spaghetti recipes say that a serving size is 1/2 cup of pasta and 1 cup of sauce.
Recently the trend for sauces to overpower the thing you put it on is spreading, or my culinary experience is expanding. Today I went to a restaurant and got mini egg rolls that came with a dipping sauce. The sauce package was 45 grams, and the egg rolls weighed 90 grams altogether. Really? I'm supposed to eat half as much dipping sauce as egg roll? Does anyone actually do this?
Maybe I just need to adjust my thinking. Instead of putting sauce on things, I will put things in sauce. Problem solved.

3 comments:

  1. I for one love sauce. It is right and just in my eyes to have so much sauce. Who on earth wants to eat pasta or rice? Seriously, no one - we all just want the delicious sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just call the sauce "soup" and drink it without the other crap. Noodles are lame.

    ReplyDelete