Monday, February 8, 2010

The Fine Art of Deception or How I Got Bling'd

I am now officially engaged, and this is the story of how it happened.
My boyfriend Jonathan began deceiving me, aka planning, about a month ago when we first started seriously discussing marriage. He told me to make sure I didn't make any plans on March 13, because he had big plans for that day and would need me for the entire day. I suspected he intended to propose on that day. He apparently decided it would be a good smokescreen, and put considerable effort into making sure I continued to believe my proposal would be on that day. He went so far as to stage conversations with one of our good friends, who also happened to introduce us. She suggested he move the date up to the 12th so I would be surprised. He claimed he couldn't because he had deposits down. So, I expected to wait until March 13, or at least February 13. (I suspected he might move it up a month for Valentine's Day.)
Last Friday, he stopped by my apartment before I had to go to work. He told me he had gotten chocolate for me, but had eaten it when he was hungry. I told him, mostly joking, that he could make it up to me by getting me a Snickers ice cream bar. Further deception ensued. He staged another conversation with the same friend in which she said Utah temples are ugly.
I went to work from 7-10, and after work he was waiting impatiently. He told me Smith's didn't have Snickers ice cream, so he had flowers for me instead. And he also had stopped by a different store and gotten the ice cream. He suggested we go look at the "ugly" Utah temples, and I agreed. We drove to the Mount Timpanogas temple, the Oquirrh Mountain temple, and finally the Jordan River temple. We had just pulled into the parking lot when we were asked to leave, as they were closing the temple grounds for the night. He suggested that we stop and look at it from a nearby street. I didn't see the point, as the temple lights were already turned off, but I figured it couldn't hurt. When we had parked, he said he had a surprise for me and pulled out a bottle of sparkling cider and two wine glasses. Unfortunately, there wasn't a bottle opener to go with the cider, so he ended up breaking the bottle in half. He stood by my door and told me there was a surprise in the glove box. I found a little box with a bow on top, and opened it to find a ring box. The ring box was empty. I laughed, and decided he was probably going to give me empty ring boxes until he really proposed, probably on Feb. 13. Then I turned toward him to see him on one knee. He pulled out a disco ball he had once used to fake-propose to me and said, "Rachel P. Bohman, will you marry me?"
I don't remember what exactly I said, but yes was definitely a part of it.

4 comments:

  1. I never once said they were ugly temples. Get used to deception because I am full of it. Speaking of deception I liked your "version" of the truth. Very cute lies are still lies. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to hell for calling Utah temples ugly. I didn't mean it, I swear! I just had to lie to you to keep with the deception!! FORGIVE ME, RACHIE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once upon a time....

    ....that is a freaking awesome story.

    YAY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete