Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Overrated

It turns out that I am overrated.
In one of my classes, we've been having people come talk to us about our various options after we graduate. This week we had someone come talk to us about graduate school. He told us that as engineers, we are perfectly capable of getting a good job without anything beyond a bachelor's degree. Moreover, we will be overrated. We will get more respect than we deserve and be paid more than we're worth. If we go to grad school, we can still be overrated, but feel like we've earned it. Personally, I'm OK with being overpaid and treated too deferentially.

3 comments:

  1. Not only am I okay with being overrated, I am gleefully looking forward to it. I have every intention of only getting a bachelors degree and then be paid lots and lots of money. After all - why not cash in on the benefits that favor me? And I think it's ridiculous how much school costs - personally, I feel that grad school is the thing that's most overrated in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guy! You should take that undeserved credit (which is totally deserved, by the way) and use it to help build up the ratings for history students. Anyone with less than a PhD is dirt. Where's the vindication, world?

    In other news, I think you're the most under-appreciated genius BYU has ever seen. You're awesome, guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, you should be rated much much much higher. Tell that guy to shove it. Then tell him to shut it. Do you want me to rough him up? I will.

    ReplyDelete