Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Narcolepsy

I have been cursed with the ability to fall asleep almost instantly almost anywhere.
Last night I was a passenger in a car driving from Salt Lake to Provo. There was a meteor flash that apparently lit up the entire sky, and I missed it because, despite the fact that I had been participating in a conversation seconds earlier, I was asleep.
I was at a friend's house one night, and we were talking. She asked me a question, and I said, "I just," and fell asleep. In the middle of the sentence.
I have to put my alarm clock (OK, cell phone) across the room so I have to jump down from my bunk bed when it goes off. This is because otherwise I turn the alarm off without ever fully regaining consciousness. Unfortunately, recently I've been waking up, jumping down, walking across the room, turning off the alarm, walking back across the room, climbing back into bed, and going back to sleep. Not good.
The other side to this is that somehow my unconscious self wants everyone around me to believe I'm not asleep. When I do wake up, I usually say something completely ridiculous that makes complete sense to me. So if we're ever talking and I get quiet, and then suddenly ask where everybody is, you'll know what happened.

3 comments:

  1. All I'll know is that you lost the battle to the Yeerks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh is right--that wasn't a meteor, it was an Andalite ship crashing into an abandoned construction site. Now we all have the power to morph and you're stuck being a smelly old normal person. Should've stayed awake, guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day you were giving me the secret formula for the elixer of life then right in the middle of jotting it down poof--right to sleep. All well who needs that?

    ReplyDelete