Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sometimes...

Things just work out. This is the case with my job this semester. I had hoped to be working about 15-20 hours per week for the chemistry department, because they pay really well. Unfortunately, they also are really slow about offering you a job, so by the time they did, I had already accepted a different job with the chemical engineering department.
The problem with the job I had accepted was that it is only for 11 hours per week, which is not really enough to keep me fed and not homeless (despite the fun I had being a hobo in London, it is not something I want to make a habit of). The other problem is that it didn't work with my schedule. So, the last I heard, I may or may not have had an eleven hour job. I also had applied for a 3-5 hour per week job, also with the chemical engineering department, but hadn't heard anything from them. I had sent a bunch of emails, but never gotten any replies. This was basically my status as of yesterday morning.
Then, yesterday, everything just kind of fell into place. I got several emails, informing me that:
1. A different professor wanted me as his TA because he wants a woman, and this severely limits his options in the chemical engineering program.
2. This job would require working hours that I actually am available.
3. They do actually want me to work the 3-5 hour/week job. I am going to get trained for that today.
I don't know exactly what the message in this is, but I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "Things will work out if you have faith and make a reasonable effort on your own."

No comments:

Post a Comment