Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Inbox

My inbox right now makes me really happy. This is because it contains two of the best emails ever written. One is actually probably more sad than great, but it makes me laugh. The background:
I am taking an online religion class, and the teacher is offering 25 points of extra credit to anyone who comes to meet him in person. We were supposed to email his secretary, and she would set up an appointment. So, I emailed his secretary (who is paid for her job). Her response was probably the least professional email I have ever received (and she was probably the only one who was ever paid to email me).
"Bro. Wright could meet with on Wed. April 29th any time after 9:00 a.m. Let me know what would work 4 U.

[Name deleted to protect her identity]

Religious Education

Brigham Young University

[contact information deleted to protect her identity]"

The other email that makes me happy is actually great. First of all, my new favorite website is BYU Bookexchange, which allows people to completely bypass the bookstore and just buy and sell textbooks from other students. Yay! You don't actually get the other person's contact information except for their email address. This leads to some interesting email conversations, and then some interesting experiences. It kind of feels like a drug deal or something--"You bring the money, I'll bring the package, if you know what I mean." Anyway, please imagine the following story in black and white as an old detective movie or film noir.
This morning I was going to sell my stats book to somebody who I only knew as Ben. We had arranged to meet in the lobby of the library. I walked into the library and saw a guy sitting on a bench wearing sunglasses. He stood up with his wallet in hand as I walked towards him. "Joy?" I nodded. Then I realized that my name is not, in fact, Joy, and had to admit that, and I looked stupid.
I sat on the bench and started waiting. A few minutes later, another guy, who was also wearing sunglasses, came up. "Rachel?" I thought about it for a second, not wanting to make the same mistake. "Yes." He handed me money, I handed him the book, and we walked away.
That was pretty cool itself, but not quite as cool as my meeting that resulted from this email (see, I do remember what I was posting about).
Her: "can you meet me in the parking lot?"

Me: "Definitely."
Her: "I will be in a red pontiac grand am. I will pull up to the curb and just be near my car so you can find me."
Me: "I'll be wearing a yellow rose in my hair."
All right, so I made up my last line, but the rest were direct quotes. Don't even try to tell me that's not awesome. I love cloak-and-dagger stuff!

2 comments:

  1. tht msg srsly didnt work 4 u?

    But I have to admit, I just about died laughing about your story where you said your name was Joy. Only thing I can imagine that's worse is misspelling your own name...which I've done...to a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah Joy! Uh...crap...I mean Rachel!

    It's like you're a drug dealer! Only worse! You sell textbooks! ;)

    ReplyDelete