Friday, October 15, 2010

The Payoff of Procrastination

I've decided/realized that I'm probably never going to kick my procrastination habit. Why, you ask?

1. Quizzes on reading
When I do my reading well in advance, it hardly ever fails that there will be a quiz on the assigned reading the next class period. If I read it three days ago, will I remember the details of some brand-new concept for today's quiz? Experience tells me no.

2. Typos and clarification
How often do your teachers send out emails or start class by saying saying something along the lines of "Many of you have asked how to do problem 3. The book has a typo/left out a vital piece of information. It should say [what it should say]." For me, at least once a week.

3. Elimination of assignments
Rarer but nicer than #2. "I realized problem 5 is much more difficult than I intended it to be/we never covered the material. Please don't do that problem. Apologies to those who have attempted it." Without procrastination: "Come on! Really?! I spent hours on that!" With procrastination: "Sweet!"

4. Concentration
This one is more personal. I find it much easier to focus, stay off facebook, read attentively searching for details and applications of principles, and accomplish things in a timely fashion when a deadline is looming. Of course, "looming" is subjective and depends on the assignment. I try to leave myself enough time that even though the deadline is near, I won't be rushed and will have time to at least ask a classmate if I get stuck.

2 comments:

  1. I promise to love and cherish you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are perfect reason to put work off. I will never do anything on time ever again. Thanks, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete