Monday, October 18, 2010

Liver-Eater

On Saturday Jonathan and I went to the opera with my brother and his wife (one of my best friends). Afterward we were in a crowded elevator heading back to our car when we realized we were sharing our space with a liver-eater.

Silence in the elevator. Then, suddenly:

"If you don't stop that right now, I will EAT YOUR LIVER!!"

OK, crazy lady. I will stop anything. Just leave my liver alone.

It turned out she wasn't talking to us, or to anyone in the elevator. She was recounting a charming anecdote about threatening a child. As we left the elevator, we could still hear her. "Mrs. Jones, what's a liver? What's a liver? Can you believe that? Mrs. Jones, what's a liver?"

We thought that was probably all there was, and if it wasn't, we were parting ways and wouldn't ever know how it ended. But we were luckier than we expected. We walked past her again. "But Mrs. Jones, how can you eat something inside my body?"

Lucky us. Poor kid.

3 comments:

  1. haha, how could someone talk about that for so long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm just your brother's wife? That's it--I'm getting a divorce and Josh and I are just gonna live in sin forever.

    Liver lady shouldn't talk so loudly in an overcrowded elevator. It was awkward when I started sniggering at her and she could hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no. You're one of my best friends. It's parenthetically inserted because whenever I tried to express the relationship, the wording got awkward. "My brother and one of my best friends, who happens to be his wife" and "one of my best friends and her husband, my brother" seemed out of hand, but "one of my best friends and my brother" seems to be missing something.

    ReplyDelete