Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Croeso i Gymru (Welcome to Wales)

I am here in Cardiff, and have decided to let you in on some of the random things that have happened and some of the things that have surprised me. First, I expected it to be much greener. However, to make up for the lack of shocking green, there are huge trees, woods, and gorgeous flowers everywhere. The most surprising trees I have seen are palm trees. Seriously, there is a palm tree in about every third garden. I always associated palm trees with California, not Britain, but there you are.
When I got to Cardiff, I found the landlord's office. It had a sign in the window with the BYU study abroad addresses. I am living on Dogfield Street. There was nobody in the office to provide directions, so my friend and I set off on our own. We asked several people in the area for directions, but Dogfield is out of the way, so nobody had heard of it. So, we wandered. Finally, we found a pay phone and called Tom, our teacher. He told us we were actually only a block away from our street, and then came to collect us and give us keys.
The weather here is completely different from Utah weather. We have had rain every day except today. However, the rain is different. Instead of raining steadily, there are cloudbursts. It will be sunny, and the next minute rain is pouring down in buckets. Ten or fifteen minutes later, the sun is shining again.
The buildings here are really, really old. The tile in our kitchen and bathroom looks like it's from WWII. Also, the shopping center is in the center of Cardiff, which means all the stores are in really, really old buildings. It is kind of weird, but cool, to see an old brick building with amazing architecture, and look inside and see a modern shoe shop or tattoo parlor.
We have Welsh conversation classes in pubs. We just go over the pubs, and there are groups of Welsh speakers who meet to chat every week. We join their chatting. I have found that I am much better at understanding other people than at forming my own sentences. I also think my Welsh will be much better than it is now by the time I come home. Today I bought a book in Welsh by Terry Pratchett, which is amazing.
The food is great. We do most of our cooking at home because it's cheaper. I have one vegetarian housemate, so most of our food is also vegetarian, which is not quite as tasty but a lot cheaper. Other than that, I've had a Cornish pasty, which is like a hot pocket, but much, much better. I think I would eat them every day if I could. I also tried a Welsh cake, which is kind of like a pancake, only better. The chocolate is fantastic. The yogurt here is also much better than American yogurt. I have been eating a lot, and British food is kind of fattening. However, I also have been walking at least 5 or 10 miles every day, so I think it's balancing out all right.
Walking the streets of Cardiff is an adventure. First, I keep thinking the cars have no driver when I glance over. Then there aren't really crosswalks and you just have to dart across the street. I think the tradition of scouts helping old ladies across the street must have begun in Britain.
So, there you are. Consider yourselves updated.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering my questions :-)

    Also, consider yourself lucky to have had an address. I think the Weasleys must have lived in Wales, because their address was The Burrow. I knew an elder from Britain on my mission whose parents moved to Wales, and his new address was 'Mole'. Or maybe The Mole. I'm not sure.

    Good luck finding that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, the palm trees thing, in the words of my wise sister Elisa, "Makes me feel weird inside."

    I think you should go to said tattoo parlor and get one. Because that's just something you have to do while you're in another country ;)

    IMO (in my opinion) I think you should eat as much of said fattening British food as possible because you're entirely too skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rachel,
    You stink for not posting on your blog or emailing me this week.
    Love, Your Favorite Brother

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rachel,
    you actually wrote me, so you no longer stink. But don't stop showering.
    Love, Josh

    ReplyDelete
  5. About the showering...we haven't had any hot water. It is very discouraging on the showering front.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, maybe you literally stink, but figuratively, you smell of roses. Or at better than a warthog... maybe. And definitely better than you most likely literally do.

    Pssh. Not showering...

    ReplyDelete