Saturday, July 18, 2009

Awesome

Friends, this week has been awesome. I don't want to be incredibly repetitive to my family, who already were given an entirely too long email, so I'll keep this brief.
The highlights of my week:
Going to about four different castles.
Going to cathedrals. I went to Evensong at Salsbury Cathedral. It turns out Evensong means "evening service." So, I attended a Church of England service. Even better, it was the evening of their patron saint's day. So, at the end of the service, we all followed the choir over to the shrine or St. Osbert while the choir and congregation sang a song about how fantastic St. Osbert was. It was crazy, but cool. I had never been to another church's services, but this was fairly low key. Mostly they just sang songs and read a couple of passages from the Bible.
Going to Stonehenge. I can't even describe how cool it was. Most people get to walk past it and take pictures. We got to go up to it, wander around the stones, touch the stones, sit on the fallen stones, and dance around. So. Cool.
Driving around. We have a crazy GPS that we have named Gypsy due to its wandering nature. Gypsy has led us down hedgerow lined roads that touch the van on both sides, through a river (really, we forded a river. Twice. Once on the way there, and once on the way back.), down hills so steep that nobody should drive down them, much less a 16-passenger van that is a stick shift to boot, and around countless roundabouts. We think Gypsy's goal is to take us down a back alley and kill us one of these days. Anyway, it's always an adventure. Yesterday's adventure was that we ran out of petrol completely, and Gypsy told us we would have to go back to the town we had left an hour ago. Bad idea, Gypsy.
Going to Harry Potter 6. As a British movie, it opened here first. I think several of you saw it before me, but theoretically I could have seen it first. And I did go see it, and I enjoyed it.
Next week is going to be awesome. We are going to have conversation "classes" again. By classes, I mean we are going to pubs and talking to old Welsh people. We also are going to London again, and I have tickets to Les Mis. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. I love picturing Rachel Bohman in a pub. You were awesome before, but I think you are even more awesome-er now :)

    ReplyDelete