Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kids Say What Now? Part 2

Remember how I teach the six-year-olds at church? I still do, but they changed my class members at the beginning of the years. So now I have a whole new crop of rising leaders. They're all pretty awesome, and they definitely have their quirks.

Child 1 is in love with me. Every week he makes sure he's sitting by me and he asks if a) he can kiss me or b) I will kiss him. Every week I tell him no. The advantage of his major crush is that he tries really hard to pay attention so I'll be impressed.

Child 2 and Child 3 are hyper-competitive. They are both positive that they are the rightful winner of every contest, and everything is a contest to them. 2 and 3 are the fastest, strongest, most karate-knowing, best at reading, best at writing, and have the strongest and fastest brothers and fathers. I suggested that they see who could be the most reverent and display the most church-appropriate behavior. I'm not sure how well that turned out. On the one hand, they stopped bragging about who could kick the other's head hardest. On the other hand, every thirty seconds they would ask me who was being the most reverent and inform the other that it was not them. "I'm quieter than you!" "No, I'm quieter!" "I'm the quietest one!" "Well, I'm better at paying attention than you!"

Child 4 I actually have no hilarious stories about. She's pretty sweet.

Child 5 is certain that everyone is conspiring against her. The kids are still at a stage where they love participating. Every time I ask for a volunteer to do anything (say a prayer, read a scripture, hold a picture, run to the library for some chalk, etc.), I get five hands raised. And whenever 5 is not the one who is picked, tears ensue. Today she cried because:
1. She hit Child 3 with a chalkboard eraser and he took it away from her.
2. Children 1-4 were hiding under their chairs.
3. She gave the prayer last week, so I asked Child 1 to do it this week.
4. I chose Child 2 to go to the library for chalk. She cried that everybody else gets to go to the library. Why doesn't she? I pointed out that children 1, 3, and 4 didn't go to the library either.
5. She was going to go second in the game instead of first. Child 4, who was set to be first, switched with her. Told you she's sweet.
6. She "didn't get very many" Starbursts, which I brought for treats. Besides, they "weren't very special." (Note: She really did get just as many as everybody else. And she told me before class that they're her very favorite.)
Fortunately, the tears don't last long. Within thirty seconds or a minute, she's all smiles and helpfulness again.

Oh, and remember Paul/Ethan? Yeah, his name is actually Scott.

2 comments:

  1. Our kids will be twice as weird as any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty awesome, I must admit. I especially like the Child 1 story :)

    ReplyDelete