Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Christmas Bet

So Jonathan and I both hate doing the dishes as much as Scrooge and the Grinch combined hated Christmas before their changes-of-heart. This, as you might imagine, leads to some piled up dishes occasionally (OK, almost always). Two days before Christmas, I suggested that we should do something about the two weeks worth of dishes stacked in the kitchen. Jonathan had another idea. "How about whoever receives the best Christmas presents does all the dishes?"

I agreed, although I had a suspicion that he must have something really great lined up. Jonathan does not do dishes voluntarily, nor does he put himself in situations where doing the dishes seems likely. However, I had a trick or two up my sleeve also. Jonathan has been wanting a Wii since we got married. I told him we couldn't get one. Little did he know the reason we couldn't buy one was that I had already bought one for him. Good gift, right?

However, my suspicions were totally justified. Basically, he got me everything I had mentioned wanting, and then some. The clincher was probably my new computer. A few weeks ago Jonathan stepped on my computer and cracked the screen. Approximately 1/8 of the screen (and growing) was black and horrific looking. So he got me a replacement and I've spent about three hours doing the dishes over the last couple of days. And now, for the first time in weeks, every dish we have is clean.

New Year's Resolution: Never again live in a home without a dishwasher. Ever. Ever. Ever.

4 comments:

  1. Resolution #2: Get Jonathan a new car. Enjoy the suds, sucker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan's the above mentioned sucker, btw. Cause he'd be doing the dishes if you gave him a car...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really because I already got a car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what if it was a Bentley? or a Lamborghini? or an Aston Martin? or a Rolls-Royce?

    ReplyDelete