Sunday, June 13, 2010

Top Secret!

I recently started my summer internship. At the orientation, they drilled into us certain facts: We cannot forward emails, we cannot send inappropriate emails, and we cannot tell anyone anything about the firm. For example, I can't put the name of the company on facebook or here on my blog. I can't tell anyone about the training I receive or exactly what I do or my opinions about the field the firm is in. I can't say how things are going or how my day went.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure what I've done up until now can't be considered proprietary in any way, especially as I haven't actually done anything relating to the business. On Thursday and Friday last week I had orientation and was told repeatedly to not tell anyone about the business or send inappropriate emails. On Monday I was set to actually start working. Except I had no computer access. So instead I was on hold with tech support for over four hours. On Tuesday I still had no access. Ditto Wednesday. Ditto Thursday. On Friday I finally got some access and did a few things. Huzzah.

So what did I do with the rest of my week? 1) Stayed ten or more hours each day. 2) "Shadowed" my coworkers. Whee. I love watching people work. 3) Went to meetings. But don't tell anyone I told you, or I'll have to kill you.

4 comments:

  1. hehehe, it's like that book, "I'd Tell You I Love But Then I'd Have to Kill You." real book about some girl at an all-girls spy school. And apparently the people from this school were the ones who invented duck tape. Hooray! but I can't tell you how it ends, or I'd have to kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kristina, do you mean the tape made out of duck feet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. duct tape is actually what I meant. but if you want to think it's tape made out of duck feet, then who am I to say no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE duck tape! Duct tape is okay too, I guess. And hooray for top-secret meetings and silence clauses! Your job sounds vaguely fun, Rachel! I mean, it sounds vague and fun. Mostly vague.

    ReplyDelete