Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cranky

So Jonathan, in addition to talking in his sleep, is sometimes cranky in the mornings, often because of something he's dreamed. The other day he had another sleep-talking episode, and it was hilarious as usual.

I was getting ready for school and he was sleeping when he started calling for me. "Rachel! Rachel! I need you now!" I went into the bedroom.

"What's up?"

"I have some tips for you!" I asked what I needed tips on. "How to win your competition." I asked what competition he was talking about. He was exasperated that I would ask such a stupid question. "The female competition, of course." Of course. I should have realized that myself. I decided to play along and see what else he would come up with. "Oh, yeah?"

Jonathan mumbled some tips. Again, I said, "Yeah? That's what I should do?" More slurred words. "Yeah?"

This seemed to irritate him. "Stop saying yeah like you know all this!"

I didn't have a good response to that. "OK?"

"No. Don't say OK either. Say yes."

OK. I could do that. "Yes." He mumbled some more stuff that probably seemed very important at the time. Eventually I told him I had to leave so I could get to school on time. He mumbled some more stuff. "Yes," I said.

This irritated him also. "Don't say yes! It's not even true. You're such a liar."

OK, then. Apparently "yes" is the only appropriate affirmative. Except when using it makes you a liar.

2 comments:

  1. Wade often thinks that something he dreamed really happened. And sometimes, I get blamed for it in the morning. What we married ladies hafta put up with huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No crazy. Say yes but only when yes is the correct answer. You can't just say yes all the time.

    ReplyDelete